(And apologies for the misspelling; that words is spelt “civilisation” around these parts)
So I’m a Linux user and whilst I don’t often play games, an occasional break spending time slaughtering pedestrians (in GTA V) or conquering the world (in ‘Civilization’) can be fun.
Except that I have not been able to play Civilization V since I bought it through Steam – usually instant crashes although sometimes it worked well enough for a few turns.
Today I sat down and tried out various suggestions on fixing it until I found one that worked for me :-
- Right-click the game name in Steam.
- Select “Properties”
- Select “Startup options”
- Specify one of the following :-
- (Failed for me) LD_PRELOAD=’./libcxxrt.so:/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6′ %command%
- (Failed for me) LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libopenal.so.1 %command%
- taskset –cpu-list 0-3 %command%
As implied, the “taskset” startup option appears to have worked for me. According to the site I nicked it from, Civilization has trouble running on systems with more than 8 core threads.